The Future of Work
Our economy has changed dramatically over the past 50 years. This new landscape of low-wage work presents a challenge to develop new organizing models and strategies, but is also an opportunity to build a broader base of individuals who are connected by a common identity as contingent, detached, or excluded workers.
An economy built for the 1% and big corporations creates a few winners and a lots of losers. The Future of Work for more than 50 million American workers is increasingly insecure and unjust -- the solution is to organize to take back our economy city by city and state by state and win broad and racially just prosperity.
National People’s Action (NPA) is strategically poised to engage these workers. We have a membership base in regions such as the Heartland, Midwest and New England andhave strong alliances with unions, excluded worker organizations, and community organizing groups.
The "Future of Work in the Heart of America" report looks at the current landscape of the low-wage workforce and worker organizing across the nation and in eight states where NPA affiliates are currently engaged in or plan to initiate worker organizing projects: Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, and Rhode Island.
Using information collected through quantitative analysis of Census and Department of Labor data and interviews with labor leaders, organizers, and researchers, we make recommendations on how NPA can organize low wage workers and build alliances with labor unions and excluded worker organizations at the scale needed to enact more just andequitable public and corporate policies at the state and national level.
- Click here to download the Future of Work in the Heart of America report.
- Click here to download the Future of Work Analysis presentation.
- Click here to see Employers and Industries with the Most Labor Law Violations and Back Wages Paid.
- Click here to see Low Wage by State.
- Click here to see Employers with the Most Labor Law Violations by Geography.
NPA Affiliates who are organizing workers to address the Future of Work:
- Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement (IA)
- Sunflower Community Action (KS)
- Michigan United (MI)
- TakeAction Minnesota (MN)
- GrassRoots Organizing (MO)
- VOCAL-NY (NY)
- Community Voices Heard (NY)
- PUSH Buffalo (NY)
- Fuerza Laboral (RI)
- Colorado Progressive Coalition (CO)
- Illinois Indiana Regional Organizing Network (IL)
- Southsiders Organizers for Unity and Liberation (IL)
- The AMOS Project and Mahoning Valley Organizing Collaborative (OH)
- Communities United For Action (OH)
- VOCES de la Frontera (WS)