Take Action for Families in Illinois
We know that the best way to prevent more foreclosures is through principal reduction – writing down mortgages to their current fair-market value. In order to make principal reduction a possibility for Illinois homeowners, we need a new director at the Federal Housing Finance Agency.
For too long, we've known that Ed DeMarco, the current regulator for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac refuses to put homeowners and taxpayers first, and is preventing them from writing down mortgages for struggling borrowers.
President Obama has nominated Mel Watt, a congressman from North Carolina to replace Ed DeMarco as the new regulator for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Rep. Mel Watt has been an outspoken defender of working- and middle-class homeowners.
We need to make sure Senator Kirk votes to put communities, families, and taxpayers first by voting to confirm Mel Watt.
Take action now!
- Call Senator Kirk's office at 888-995-5938.
- Leave him a brief message either with his staff or on his voicemail.
- Hi, my name is ___________ and I live in [YOUR City/Town].
- I'm calling to urge Senator Kirk to meet with the community to discuss the problems of foreclosures and underwater mortgages in Illinois.
- I also want Senator Kirk to vote in favor of confirming Mel Watt as the head of the FHFA (Federal Housing Finance Agency).
- Let us know how your call went!
- Stay tuned – tomorrow we will take more action to keep the pressure on your Senator!
Lakeview Action Coalition,
Illinois People's Action,
National People's Action